Tuesday, April 10, 2012

THIS LAND IS MY LAND ,THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND

THIS LAND IS MY LAND,THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND

'PROUD OF MY HERITAGE'

I was reading the book " Can't Is not an Option" by South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley. It is a beautiful autobiography of an American Indian political leader from South Carolina who shares her stories of growing up in South Carolina" s small town of Bamberg.She was named Nimratha Nikki Randhawa. Her parents migrated from India ,there were very few immigrant families living in South Carolina in those days.Haley writes about her participation in a teen beauty pageant where she and her sister were removed because "they were not Black enough to be called Black or White enough to be called White".How they were surrounded by police cars when her "turban wearing"dad got out on the corner of the street to fix his car.She was interested in accounting from a young age and did her B.S in accounting from Clemson University.She helped her mom with her upscale boutique named Exotica,International.She served on the Board of Directors of Orangeburg County and Lexington Chamber of Commerce.She ran for elections in the South Carolina's House of Representatives in 2004 for a district in Lexington County.She was relected in 2006.Nikki Haley became Governor in 2010.
She is daughter of legal immigrants and believes that immigration laws should be enforced.Her main goal is to lower taxes.She was endorsed by Sarah Pallin and Mitt Romney.
This charismatic governor of South Carolina and her life story has touched my heart ,I see myself or perhaps my daughters in her.I do believe that America is a land of opportunity that this country helped me to express my talents.I also believe that if my kids work hard they can also become Senator,Governor or even the President.
I believe in hard work,dedication and to aim high.In the words of Nikki Haley "I am daughter of immigrant parents who reminded us everyday how lucky we are to live in this country.They love the fact that you could start something,grow it as you want,be as successful as you want to be"!



No comments:

Post a Comment